Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Tony on Earth



I've just watched the first part of the Channel 4 - 'Man on Earth' documentary (yeah that's right it's Mans earth woman). Probably it's my age, but why are documentaries nowadays like something the Wachowski brothers would make after consuming speedballs and yellow bentines?

I thought it was rubbish, mainly because I loathe the televisual canker that is Tony Robinson and cannot for the life of me understand why he is still considered a 'draw' for TV. This would have been a reasonably interesting documentary without the 80's synths, symbol clashes, stop-motion plant growth, looming cityscapes and smiling black kids and I'm still trying to
fathom why they chose to use two eye candy academics resembling Lara Croft and Ben Fogle (that toff who made a career out of raised collars and patronising poor people).

Highlights of episode 1:

We are told Tony is travelling 900 miles to Dar es Salaam
only to see shots of him driving aimlessly around some scrubland - 'no roads in Africa by jove!'

He stands next to a replica Neanderthal and says "as you can see there is a big difference between the way Neanderthals would have looked compared to a 'normal' human like me...not a trace of irony - what's normal about Baldrick?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home