Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Monday, September 18, 2006

Last week in full

Last week I had been painting. I could leave it at that and perhaps some of you would have gone away imagining your Mayor to have been sat in sunlit meadows, caressing canvas with horsehair, but alas I would be misleading you. We know my abilities with the brush only extend as far as the wall. Tommy the Painter feels I am a hot prospect in the Decorainting game (yes 'Decorainting'), so I don't feel totally useless.

Later in the week, thanks to doctoral scholar Karl Whitney , I was able to attend 2 talks at UCD given by Professor Victor Sage of East Anglia University (brief Biography here) whom Karl had invited. His first lecture was concerned with the role of Venice as a theatrical stage, which some authors in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth century used as a setting for their gothic works. Principally he was concerned with the writings of Schiller, Zshokke (plus MG Lewis' Translation 'The Bravo of Venice'), and Hoffmann.

I cannot pretend to know much about Gothic literature, but thanks to Sage's clear and unassuming delivery, I was able to understand his view of the role that Venice has played in this genre over the years. According to Sage - Venice's model of democracy, (which was not unlike that of ancient Rome), and it's labyrinthian topography, was part of the backdrop used 'to respond to the tension between law and anarchy and the conflicting pressures of Enlightenment, Republicanism and Empire.' According to Sage, Hoffmann weaved a mixture of myths and folktales around an historical event, rather than writing, like Schiller, in a mainly historical vein. Whilst Zshokke used comedy and masquerade.

The following day, despite my late arrival, I enjoyed an animated discussion of Kazuo Ishiguro’s novel, ‘Never Let Me Go’. As a novice writer I really relished the chance to eavesdrop on a discourse between academics about Ishiguro's intentions and techniques. It reminded me that 'literature' is a vast arena, with a wealth of ideas, and I have a long way to go. Coming out of the seminar, I was left facing a familiar dichotomy; enter the nurturing and rich environment of academia - or to continue in the (potentially) more creative autonomy of self-study.

The evening was spent celebrating Gem's birthday, at the Fringe Festival, The Orb providing a soundtrack to the birthday revalry. It was 15 years since I had last seen Alex Patterson and he looked much older - I felt tired watching him.

Saturday and Gem and I went a foraging in the hills of Wicklow. Lots of mushrooms in them hills and now I have a pictoral guide to help me find the poisonous ones! I've started taking photos of my finds so watch this space for links to a new Shroom folder.

That evening we tried celebrating Gems b'day again, but thousands of Kerry and Mayo fans who were up for the all Ireland, saw fit to descend on Slatterys and before too long we were taking elbows to the back of the head, while the dirty boggers stomped around the pub in their big wellies.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walladge, you should try shrooming in the green glades of Glendalough. Despite the trompings of the tourists in thos ancient paths, there are edible and others available.

Watch out that the Shroom powder does not leave sediments on your hands as this may damage your gift and penchant for decorainting!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006  
Blogger Mark W said...

Thanks - I'll try Glendalough again. Had a walk around but got too sidetracked by some cool spider webs.

That shroom powder, tis like that bug powder Bill got into.

Friday, September 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home