Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Monday, January 05, 2009

Hateful Wallace

There are many places like San Pedro around the world. They started off as small peaceful havens and a few well meaning travellers went there and relaxed and enjoyed the scenery. After word of mouth spread it became more popular well meaning types continued to go, but more provision had to be made for them and a few people both local and blow-in began to see opportunities to make money. Eventually the local industry was playing second fiddle to tourism, the place lost it’s original appeal and became replaced by other attractions. In this instance and in many others it is Marijuana. San Pedro is in a beautiful location looking over one of the largest lakes in Central America; however the town has been sullied by an influx of travellers who want to get high.

I shouldn’t have gone there. It’s plain that the reactionary is growing in me more and more. I watched lots of scantily clad westerners draped in ethnic gear strolling around the little village, trying to ´outhippy´ the guy next to him (in this case me) and I took offence. For the main part of my stay I counted how many westerners I could see draped in the traditional clothing worn by Guatemalans. The bile in me continued to surface until the morning of my departure when I began to reflect on why it was I had a problem with these types. At the end of the day, they have every right to dress how they will, they’re not doing anyone any real harm, in fact it has been pointed out to me that buying a caftan might actually help support the local economy. So I accept the problem is solely my own.

Today I watched coverage of Israel’s invasion of Palestinian territory and remembered a conversation I had some 13 years ago whilst driving towards Haifa. My boss an Israeli farmer claimed that the conflict with Palestine would never be resolved. We passed a peaceful Palestinian protest and though he was initially dumbfounded, his hatred continued to flow from him and it began to dawn on me that the Israelis would always need to need to demonise their Arab neighbours, it helps to solidify their position both internally and externally. Today I walked passed a long haired American in ethnic garb and decided to say hello, he smiled back beatifically, and I felt return that familar desire to mock.

This will take time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bentham said...

You can take the man out of London...

Thursday, January 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home